Now in its 7th year, the CURRENT SESSIONS has built a reputation as an organization that offers unique and memorable experiences for dancemakers, their collaborators, and spectators alike. Series after series, passionate artists come together from NYC, the US and abroad to develop new relationships; a 3-day festival of curated performances, movement workshops and an open forum/discussion allow selected artists to exchange in both conversation and craft.
Recent presented artists include: Bobbi Jene Smith, Tara Aisha Willis, Fana Fraser, and Ben Hagari.
The Curatorial Theme for Volume VII is Resistance.
Participating artists will develop choreography from the disobedient and destabilizing, to the imaginative and the revolutionary. Those interested in applying to the open call may come from a traditional choreographic background, yet TCS would also like to work with physical movers such as skateboarders, bodybuilders, and martial arts practitioners.
On Resistance looks to further classify movement into a broader spectrum by challenging systems of making and observing dance.
- Early bird deadline to apply is May 23, 2017. The final day to apply to Volume VII is May 29, 2017.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance via email to be presented during the SESSIONS no later than June 15, 2017.
- The intended work will be presented from Friday, August 18, 2017 to Sunday, August 20, 2017.
- Upon confirmation of acceptance, selected artists will be required to attend an Artist Meeting to both meet/greet fellow choreographers as well as read/sign a Letter of Agreement. The date will be determined from the selected group's overall availability.
3 EASY STEPS
STEP 1: Email a photo of yourself to email@example.com with subject line stating "APPLICATION + YOUR LAST NAME."
STEP 2: Pay the Application Fee at the designated link below at the start of the Application Form.
STEP 3: Complete the Application Form below, including a Work Sample via online video link.
WORK SAMPLE CRITERIA
- The proposed work can be a new creation, a work-in-progress, a revision of a recent work, or a film.
- Presented works must be at least 10 to 15 minutes in length.
- Work Samples must be accessible via online, Vimeo or YouTube only. Work samples submitted via DVD or Dropbox link will not be accepted.
- Work Samples must be at least 5 continuous minutes in length and be of the proposed work. Please no sample reels or excessive edits.
- Rehearsal footage of the proposed work is acceptable.
- A time cue point for Work Samples is preferred; a maximum of 5 minutes will be screened during Curation.
- If the proposed work is a dance film, please make sure it is of the dance film proposed and not a rehearsal/live version of the work, and vice versa for works to be performed on the stage.
- If music is overdubbed in the video, it should be the intended music to be used for the proposed work.
ARTIST HONORARIUM + BENEFITS
If accepted to be presented at the CURRENT SESSIONS, the Artist will be presented with a $125 Artist Honorarium to be awarded no later than 2 weeks after performances. Please note: Presented films will not receive photography or video footage.
Each artist selected to present at the CURRENT SESSIONS will receive the following:
- $125 Artist Honorarium*
- Presentation of work at the wild project theater with full lighting & sound capabilities.
- Both wide angle and close-up .MOV/.Mp4 HD video files of your performance at the SESSIONS.
- Hi-res photos of your work from the SESSIONS.
- Media Promotional Package including printed materials, online marketing (mentions on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram and newsletter; an Artist Spotlight on TCS blog), and press release.
- In-kind support leading up to the performances, including constructive feedback during rehearsals.
- An opportunity to participate in the Talkback series following the Sunday performance.
- An opportunity to teach during the LAB // SESSIONS workshop series a week prior to performances.
*The CURRENT SESSIONS August 2017 performance series, Volume VII: On Resistance, is made possible in part with public funds from Creative Engagement, supported by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council and administered by Lower Manhattan Cultural Council.
ABOUT THE WILD PROJECT
The wild project is an 89 fixed-seat theater. The stage is 22.5' wide by 18' deep by 1' high. Visit the wild project rentals page for theater specifications and additional photos of the space.
Thank you for your interest in the CURRENT SESSIONS performance series! Please fill out the below information as fully and as articulate as possible. Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions before applying. Any additional questions or concerns should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Artists will receive notification of their acceptance no later than June 15, 2017. We look forward to reviewing your proposal!
STEP 1: EMAIL A PHOTO OF YOURSELF
Send your photo to email@example.com, with the Subject Line of the email stating "Volume VII Application + Your Last Name" - for example: "Volume VII Application + Smith."
STEP 2: PAY THE APPLICATION FEE
$10 - Early Bird Application Fee until May 23, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST
$20 - Extended Deadline Fee until Monday, May 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST